Garage Door Care
If you’re looking to extend the lifespan of your garage door, you need to invest in the proper care and upkeep. Not sure where to start? We broke down garage door maintenance into an easy timetable to help you stay ahead of potential issues and keep your garage door system in the best shape possible. Or, if you’d like to leave your garage door maintenance to a professional, contact Fawley Overhead Door to book your appointment.
A Brief Guide to Garage Door Maintenance
Every 6 Months
- Wash the interior and exterior of the door and windows with a mild soap (car wash or dishwashing soap) and water, then rinse thoroughly. Do not use harsh or abrasive detergents.
- Lubricate springs, tracks, and hinges with a silicone or Teflon-based spray. Do not use WD-40 or grease. Open and close the door afterward to distribute the lubricant.
- Perform a garage door safety test. Press the button to close the garage door then wave a broom or stick in the opening. The garage door should automatically reverse if the safety sensors are working correctly.
- Perform a door balance test. First, disconnect the closed garage door from the opener so that it can operate manually. Then open the door about halfway and release it. If properly balanced, the door should stay in place when you release it.
Every 12 Months
- Inspect springs, cables, tracks, and other hardware for signs of wear. If you see signs of worn-out, rusted, or broken parts, call for a professional inspection.
- Replace the battery and lightbulbs in the opener.
- Replace batteries in the remotes or keypads.
- Schedule a professional inspection with a local garage door company.
- Clean road salt from interior and exterior surfaces using mild soap (car wash or dishwashing soap) and water, then rinse thoroughly. Do not use harsh or abrasive detergents. If surface rust appears, immediately contact a professional for inspection and repair options.
- Replace cracked or worn-out weatherstripping.
- Repaint the garage door exterior for weatherproofing and an updated look.
Schedule Your Garage Door Tune-Up Today!
If it’s been over a year since you had a professional examine your garage door system, it may be time to schedule your garage door tune-up. Annual garage door maintenance helps you stay ahead of repairs and prolong the life of your garage door system. Fawley Overhead Door offers garage door maintenance in Kalamazoo, Portage, and the surrounding areas. We would love to assist you by performing a garage door tune-up for your home. Contact us to schedule your appointment today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use WD-40 on a garage door?
No, do not use WD-40 or similar penetrating oil on your garage door parts. WD-40 is a water displacement spray, designed to clean metal that’s been exposed to moisture. This can soften plastic, nylon, or rubber components and damage many garage door parts like the opener’s rubber belt or nylon rollers. Instead, you should use a silicone-based lubricant for your garage door.
What are the benefits of garage door maintenance?
Garage door maintenance has many great benefits for your garage and home including:
– Helps you stay ahead of potential issues and prevent significant garage door repairs.
– Extends the life of your entire garage door system.
– Ensures the safety of your garage door and parts.
– Prevents rust build-up and parts wear.
– Creates a quieter, smoother garage door operation.
What parts of a garage door should be lubricated?
Because garage doors have many moving parts and metal parts, they need to be regularly lubricated to prevent friction, rust, and wear. The parts that need lubrication include:
– Bearing Plates
– Top Rail
– Arm Bar